I know that the macarons are supposed to be my signature dessert(and they certainly are, whenever I find myself in the Ladurée's vicinity). But with those little bastards being so tricky to whip up, every time I'm craving a sweet fix that won't take me three days to prepare, I invariably reach for my favorite vanilla cupcakes. As I was whipping up a batch last Saturday, I happened upon the pink food coloring and thought, what the heck. Everyone's always raving about the red velvet cupcakes, but pink being my favorite shade, pink velvet sounds so much more appealing to me! I'm surely nowhere near to switching my blog's name to "cupcakes and pearls", but I'm definitely going to turn these sweet beauties into my easiest signature instant mood lifter!
Pink velvet cupcakes
* 90g sugar
* 100g melted butter
* 130g all-purpose flour
* a pinch of salt
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 2 eggs
* 100ml buttermilk
* pink food coloring
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2) Beat the sugar with butter and honey until creamy.
3) Add eggs (one by one) while still beating. Add a few drops of food coloring, and mix well.
4) In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
5) Incorporate the flour little by little into the sugar mixture.
6) Add the buttermilk. Continue beating for 2 or 3 minutes.
7) Pour the dough into cupcake liners (fill two thirds of each liner).
8) Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool down, then decorate. I used the simple sugar icing, but you can also try white chocolate ganache or buttercream frosting.