I've always loved a great challenge, so when The House of Fraser contacted me with an offer to participate in their Fashion Getaways blogger challenge, I could only jump at the opportunity. I have to confess, I'm quite a stalker of this online store, and visiting its London premises is most definitely on my bucket list later this year. They have a great selection of my favorite British and non-British brands (hello, Karen Millen, LK Bennett and Ted Baker!) and I keep wishing my funds were unlimited and ready for an epic shopping spree. A girl can dream...
Anyway, I was supposed to create a look that would epitomize one of the world's fashion capitals: London, New York, Paris, Milan and Tokyo. Picking up the destination was the least of my worries: it was narrowing down my favorite pieces that proved to be quite challenging. But after much clicking, thinking and shuffling around with the images, I managed to put together a list of items that truly speak to my fashion travel sense. Without further ado, let's break it down:
1. There is hardly a more classic, chic and versatile piece than a beautiful trench coat. You really can't do better than that, no matter your destination!
2. In my chosen destination, red lipstick is a classic. It beats nude, pink or plum anytime. I have to confess that I'm still on the hunt for the perfect shade for my complexion, but I'm guessing this cherry hue is as close to perfection as it gets.
3. Breton top. No explanation needed. I already have at least 10 in my closet, but I can never resist adding one more to my collection. It's the easiest item to throw on when I feel like I really have nothing to wear.
4. If there's one piece of jewelry every woman should own, it's a classic black watch. You can wear it around the clock (pun intended), and never worry whether it works with your outfit or not. It goes with everything.
5. A little black dress. Another timeless classic that will save you from many sartorial dilemmas. A magenta insert adds a little bit of flair an drama to an otherwise unassuming sheath. Bonus points: it would do wonders for your silhouette, highlighting your most feminine features. A perfect ally, don't you think?
6. I've been on the hunt for a perfect pair of black trousers for what seems like forever, and I feel like this one could finally meet all my expectations. A classic cut that will never go out of style, sharp creases that are the epitome of elegance and a versatility that cannot be surpassed.
7. As a self-proclaimed scarf collector, I can never resist checking out the newest collections. A well-chosen silk or cotton scarf can add a touch of color and whimsy to an otherwise classic outfit. You can wear it tied around your neck, around your wrist (if it's the classic little silk carré), in your hair, as a belt, tied on your handbag...the options are endless. This black and gold number combines two of my favorite colors, and evokes a kind of Gatsby-esque glamour that's hard to resist.
8. & 9. When traveling, I always try to keep the number of shoes to a strict minimum: they take a lot of space and can be quite heavy. Choosing the right options is crucial. That's why no matter my destination, patent leather nude pumps and elegant ballet flats always have their allotted space in my suitcase. You can't do more versatile than that.
10. A cross-body bag is the perfect ally when I want my hands free to take pictures, browse through shopping racks, take notes on my iPhone while admiring paintings and sculptures in a museum, and nosh on a croissant or a freshly baked baguette. Plus, accessories are the right way to add a pop of color to an otherwise neutral outfit.
11. When it comes to discovering new destinations and rediscovering old favorites, tortoiseshell sunnies are my best friend. They allow me not to pile on too much makeup (which, after all, is never a good idea in summer), they hide the vestiges of a flight taken on a red eye, they let me unabashedly observe those handsome and stylish strangers that pass me on the streets.
Tell me, wouldn't this be the perfect arsenal for a short, glamorous getaway to one of the fashion capitals? And with all the hints interspersed throughout the text, would you be able to guess my dream destination? I'm already looking forward to reading your answers!
And if you'd like to participate in the House of Fraser challenge yourself, be sure to pop over to their blog and read all about it. Good luck, and have a lovely first week of August!