With days growing shorter and morning getting crispier and darker, I strangely find myself trying to make the most out of the last summer produce available on the farmers market. Last week, I had my very last blueberries of the season, and this week, it's time for the eggplant to bid goodbye and go get ready for next summer. I turned my last eggplant into these adorable savory mini cakes, and while I devoured a few of them for dinner, they would be equally perfect as a bite-size delicacy for a party. What is your favorite eggplant recipe?
Eggplant & feta mini cakes
* 1 bigger eggplant
* 200g feta
* fresh oregano and rosemary
* 3 eggs
* 200g all-purpose flour
* 100ml milk
* 100ml olive oil
* butter for the cupcake baking sheet
* 1/2 sachet baking powder
* salt, pepper
1. Rinse the eggplant and cut it into small cubes. Cook them in a saucepan, with 50ml of olive oil, salt and pepper, for 10-15 minutes.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, eggs and half of eggplant. Then add milk, crumbled feta, the rest of the olive oil and chopped oregano and rosemary. Add the rest of eggplant and combine, to get a smooth dough.
3. Butter the cupcake baking sheet and divide the dough evenly (you should get 12 cakes).
4. Bake in the oven preheated to 180°C for 20 minutes. Take the sheet out, and divide the rest of crumbled feta on the cakes. Bake for another 15 minutes.