Sunday, May 1, 2016
Please excuse the gap in our regular scheduling.
After way too much thinking, I've finally decided to pull the trigger and move my blog from the old trusted Blogger to the brand new (and rather scary) world of WordPress. From now on, you can find The Charming Avenue on a brand new WordPress website.
Thank you so much for sticking with me, and I'm already looking forward to seeing you on the "other side".
Sunday, April 10, 2016
|Image via Lauren Kelp|
In terms of the scariest 24 hours, this weekend really kicked my ass. On Friday afternoon, I was makng some changes to my blog settings, when suddenly, POUF, the whole thing disappeared. Completely. 5 years worth of work and writing disappeared like a wisp of smoke. One second it was here, and the next, it was gone. And I didn't even know what I had done wrong, so I had absolutely no idea how to bring it all back. I was terrified. The only thing that kept me from panicking completely was the fact that I backed up my content that same morning, so I knew that I could restore it if necessary. Side note: guys, if you're not doing it already, be sure to back up your blogs and your computers on a regular basis - it really can save you a lot of stress and headaches!
In the end, I found out that there was an issue with domain redirecting, and I was able to restore the settings and make the whole thing work again. But I could have imagined a better start to my weekend. I was beyond relieved to see my blog baby back online again, and I'm here today to share my favorite reads from this week with you. Happy Sunday!
Have you read Jojo Moyes Me before you? It was one of the most important books I read last year, and it still haunts me on a regular basis - it was such a powerful, moving, thoughtprovoking and heartbreaking story! And for once, I really can't wait to see the movie based on this story - it comes out in June, and gosh, the trailer's already got me weeping. (via YouTube)
With the spring's arrival, I'm looking forward to pulling my dress collection out of my closet again, and expanding it with some new beautiful pieces. This one is right up my alley. (via Ellen Tracy)
Lauren Kelp was having a french fry week on her blog, and if you're a french fry afficionado (me, me, me!), then it's like the best thing ever. The pad thai fries are rather intriguing, the parmesan rosemary ones are a classic for the books. Yum! (via Lauren Kelp)
This striped sweater would make for a nice addition to my ever growing collection. (via Petit Bateau)
And a few things you might have mssed on the Charming Avenue:
My list of goals for spring.
Books on my nightstand this month.
Wild garlic recipe inspiration.
Wednesday, April 6, 2016
In case you haven't noticed, goals and lists are pretty huge around The Charming Avenue HQ. I love setting goals at the beginning of a new year, I make lists of healthy habits to develop, at the beginning of each season, I compile bucket lists of things and activities I want to undertake, and the list goes on (pun intended). It may seem a little bit obsessive at times, but as I confessed here, I have quite a big penchant for procrastination, and my lists help to keep me and my activities in check. Without them, I would probably never get anything done.
Lately I've been thinking a lot about the goals I would like to accomplish this spring. It's my favorite season for more than one reason, and this year I'm particularly excited for its arrival. With longer days and plenty of sunshine, I'm beginning to feel alive again - more energized and more than ready to tackle some big projects and items on my to do list. I've also compiled a list of goals I would like to accomplish this season, and I thought it would be fun to share them with you, to gather some tips and advice from you, and maybe inspire you to share your goals, too.
This is what I'm particularly wishing to accomplish this spring:
1) Organize my summer trip to Provence. I have put this one on back burner for far too long - I was focusing on our current busy business schedule, while struggling with some health issues as well, so planning my summer adventures wasn't really on the forefront of my mind. But the time is ticking away, and I really need to get my stuff together and make this happen in June. I'm done my fair share of reading on the subject, and now I have to decide where I'm going to stay, and what itinerary I'm going to follow. Have any of you ever been to Provence? If so, any tips and suggestions would be highly appreciated!
2) Get back on track with my health & wellness goals. I'm really sad to admit that in March, I have almost completely fallen off the healthy habit train. First I was bedridden with some nasty kind of bug that left me exhausted for weeks, and then I sprained my knee on my ski trip. It's nothing serious (at least I hope so), but working out as I used to is not an option right now. It bugs me a great deal, because working out daily was doing wonders to my mood, and I miss my morning yoga sessions that fueled me daily with good spirit. I'm still keeping up with my lemon-water-first-thing-in-the-morning habit, though, so it's not a complete waste. In order to keep up with my plan to develop 12 healthy habits this year, I've decided to shuffle things a little bit and swap April and May goals. I've already caught myself beating myself up for not working out several times, so practicing being kind to myself seems like a good habit to focus on this month.
3) Refocus on my big 2016 goals and priorities. This one is really huge for me. I kicked off 2016 on a very positive note with a blog makeover and a whole slew of big plans and goals I wanted to accomplish. 3 months in, and I have found myself once again in the thick of a rat race. Work issues, health issues, family issues come and go, and I have somehow lost the focus on the bigger picture. That's why I'd love to take a day off from it all (a weekend would be way better, but I can't exaggerate), sit down with my list of goals and priorities for this year, sift through all the mental clutter I have accumulated over the past three months, and refocus on the essentials again.
4) Build a new website for my blog. This one has been long time coming. Ever since I changed the name and the focus of my blog, I knew that I would have to change the URL eventually (to avoid confusion), and while I'm at it, I could invest in a new website as well, and just get it over with :) I've started with gathering design and layout inspiration and researching various options (the time has finally come for me to say goodbye to Blogger, even if it kind of terrifies me). And I sure as hell hope that I'll be able to present you with the brand new Charming Avenue by the end of this spring (fingers crossed!).
5) Get out of my creative funk. I know this is as far from a SMART, quantifiable goal as possible, but it's something that I've been thinking about a lot lately. I suspect it has a lot to do with my recent severe bout of procrastination and my apparent inability to see several ongoing projects to their successful ends. Those things keep staring me in my face, and their constant, looming presence on my mind drains me of my creative energy. Or, perhaps I'm just overanalyzing things, as usual :) Whatever the reason, I'm ready to tackle the issue head on - I'm doing some research on the matter, I'll be going back to some of my favorite books on creativity (this one, this one and this one in particular), and I sincerely wish to come out on the other side feeling that creative spark again. Have you ever found yourself in a creative rut? Do you have any tips on how to get out of it? If so, please be sure to send them my way - I would be forever grateful!
Do you have any goals (big or small alike) for this spring? What are you looking forward to accomplishing?